Saturday, September 17, 2005

The Forgotten Heroes

Last night I was talking to a small poor girl living around our area making her living by selling flowers. She is just 14 and has stopped going to school as she failed in class 6th and also because her father expired by then. I tried to reason her out how important it is to continue schooling and also asked her to go ahead at least till 10th standard. But she was nonchalant. I thought I have to take my time and find better ways to make her realize about this.

Finally before leaving I asked her, “Do you know who Kalam is? “She replied with some sort of disdain “I don’t know …..Rather why I should know?”
I was deeply pained and thought how tough it is going to be for us to make people realize that there are people in the society who work for them with a great dream of India 2020. I left the scene quietly mumbling “Humm…he has a dream for you all?” By then she was all the way on to her house.

Thinking about this I joined one of my friends who was waiting for me in the Hotel nearby. We had our dinner and moved home. I started discussing about the girl to him and more than any thing I was worried about the fact that she didn’t know about Dr.APJ Kalam…as we were talking some how our discussion reached a stage where I asked him“Do you know who Major Saravanan is?”He said “No I do not know”. I was shocked. I thought at least he would have heard this name. I could no way continue discussing about the poor girl having no idea about who kalam is. I told him politely that I am disappointed that he didn’t know him. He said “Come on you are asking me about some Major Saravanan and not Sharuk Khan….” That was a well directed bouncer towards my heart and it rightly hit the target.

Many of you think on the same line… Why is he getting shocked for this…after all who is going to remember all this Tom, dick and Harry….life has to go on and living has to be made……after all what is that he has done so great to be remembered.

Yeah! He has not done anything great like earning 300,000 juggling all around dancing and putting up a brave fight on the screen against enemies. He has done nothing great like hitting the pathetic (read Bangladeshi bowlers) bowlers all over the park and celebrate his 35th century in style. He has done nothing like swindling money meant for cow fodder and sensationalizes the nation. He has done no skin show like any vamp or for that mater like Janet Jackson SUPER BOWL to become the MOST SEARCHED PAGE of the year 2004. (How many Indians were there in the list??? Wonder by now your heart would have answered). He has done nothing like talking about economic reforms and so called techie stuff (where totally looking for low end menial work to be called Professionals).

The poor guy has in fact has just done a very cheap, disgusting, shameful act that is nothing BUT LOSING HIS LIFE FOR INDIA. Mind you! He is one of the real heroes of the Kargil war and not the reel hero whom we adore as “Badsha” of Bolywood. I am not blaming Sachin or Sharuk for that mater but what I am trying to tell is how our priorities have become colored by the market capitalists and the MAD MEDIA.

Read on….“Major M Saravanan, VirChakra,1 BiharOn 28 May 1999, SS-36288W Major Mariappan Saravanan was assigned the task of capturing a well fortified enemy post in the most inhospitable terrain at an altitude of 14299 feet (Pt 4268). The officer brought his coy into action on night 28/29 May 99 and launched the assault on the enemy position at 0400h on 29 May 99. Enemy opened intensive fire with automatic weapons, artillery and mortars making it difficult for Maj Saravanan and his coy to move ahead. In the face of such heavy opposition Maj Saravanan displayed unparalleled courage, and with total disregard to his personal safety charged through the volley of bullets and fired a Rocket Launcher on the enemy bunker, killing two enemies on the spot. In the fierce fighting the officer sustained splinter injuries. Two more enemies who were hiding in the bunker opened fire from the top killing once NCO and injuring Maj Saravanan. Despite being injured and facing a heavy volley of fire, Maj Saravanan eliminated both of them but later succumbed to another burst on his head. Thus Maj Saravanan, single handedly killed four enemies and led his men from front. He was honored with the title of 'Hero of Batalik' for his gallant action” Now how many of you really read that fully……if you had not shame on you…if it had been about DPS MMS clip or Kareena’s PDA we would not have reached this statement by now. If you did well Kudos! (Yeah! Our patriotism has reached such a stage that you have to congratulate people for reading things like this with patience.) Others…are you still here ….incorrigible ……please read that again.

The man fought bravely and lost his life. He knew he will be killed but why did he go……for the big 5, 00,000 rupees his family got? Or for the Vir chakra which he got??? For the he will be called “hero of Batalik”?? Nope….he went there with ONLY THE NATION in mind…is there any one who doubts that……No there can’t be….but… what we have given him in return…nothing the newspaper spoke about him for a week may be…the government run by mock sucking souls said “we honor him and our condolences to the family”. Is that what he really deserves??? Think. Isn’t that true that your heart pains thinking about this?? Don’t you feel what we essentially are missing in life??? What the essence of Vir Chakra mean???

Now read on below……“What is ZIGSOS?” was the question in the page three of the No 1 newspaper of India (In what is different issue altogether).College student: “that is a chocolate”. Software professional: “That is the brand name of Sachin’s lace”Business man: “That is Mallika Shrewat’s puppy’s fodder”The answer (proudly so) “that is Kareena’s lipstick brand name!!!”

Voila!!! Well what an important information. The information without which we would have been blown in to pieces.(I wanted to write feed our parents….but there are few minds which are ready to dump their parents for better living and their so called sweet heart as if their parents have BITTER heart)…. There are these college students who are to determine the future of India “so called India 2020” running behind these answers and losing their way.

Now I can see you all rising eyebrows “Damn it…he knows Major Saravanan okay…but does he know all of them like him….”… I accept “Nope! I don’t know by fortunate mistakes I got to know him and remember him”.

But the main reason for the blog is not to find fault with you but to do a reality check on each and every one of our priorities. Are you some one who boasts “hey I think on my own No one can force things on me…!” But when will you realize that all your priorities from morning toilet soap to the lace of your inner wear are thrust upon you by MARKET CAPITALISTS without your knowledge. Any one who comes in a Benz is believed to be of High regard in the society irrespective of what a human he is….Who made us think that way??

I wanted to make each and everyone of us think how we have been made to believe that Voyeurism with revealing jean and diaphanous attire is vogue. Make no mistake you and I …all the damn bullshit around be a doctor or engineer or even the great minds (of course exceptions are there) are all made to believe in this. From now on never say “I make decisions that are independent and that is never forced by others”…if you do so your conscience will laugh at you rather mock at you.
By now if I have failed (which I hope not) to convince you it is just because I don’t have the ability of the MARKET CAPITALISTS. They are with big MBA from IIM’s. They have cleared CAT and hence are ready to make others to be a mouse even without the concerned knowing it. I am not.

If we after all our great degree are not being able to remember these martyr’s then no wonder the poor little girl do not know who Kalam is. If you are still in the blog…then my heartfelt thanks for you …. Now we need to find a solution for this….let we do it…rather than whining…. from my side…

1) Include in the History books right from 1 standard about Kalam and Major Saravanan’s. I am not against reading BABAR and AKBAR but please make sure that we ensure these IMPORTANT things are also included. (Some one chuckling there 1st standard….come on in TN majority of 1st standard students sing title songs all serials without mistake but not National anthem….you ask their moms they would say “hey they are Kids…..cha…..you mad”….and would proudly listen them singing. Hahahahhaha!!!!! Great ways to glory…..what a right track…..next time don’t be surprised if you GET TO SEE MMS CLIPS of FIFTH standard students making news.)

2) This I feel is the best way. One individual from every family of India should serve the military for say at least three years time. This way there would be respect for the real martyr’s as there would be many in a same town or village. Military service should be made compulsory and there should be no exceptions.
These are my thoughts. I thank you all for still being with me and sharing my thoughts……Now one more help……please do share what you think would be better ways to implement this…so that we remember Captain Deepak Guleria.. Major Padmapani Acharya...And Mr. X and Mr. All…..Thank you one and all……

JAI HIND

1 Comments:

Blogger புதுமை விரும்பி said...

Very good article, Natarajan. Keep it up!!

4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home